There were approximately 45 people in attendance at the first Friends of Noe Valley General Membership meeting of the year held at St. Philip’s on July 27, 2011.
After an initial address by Friends of Noe Valley President, Todd David, the Steering Committee members were introduced and a request for volunteers for upcoming events was made. Those in attendance were then treated to pizza and refreshments donated by Paxti’s Pizza on 24th Street.
Next on the agenda was an address by Scott Wiener, San Francisco District 8 Supervisor, who represents Noe Valley. Supervisor Wiener acknowledged the community and the importance of organized involvement on local issues.
During his informative address, Supervisor Wiener discussed a variety of prevalent and pertinent issues raised by neighbors that have an impact on Noe Valley:
- City Budget – Update
- BOS Recent Vote on AT&T Cabinets
After briefly explaining his recent vote on the AT&T cabinets, Supervisor Wiener urged individuals who are interested in finding out if there are plans to install a utility cabinet near them, to contact his office with their address. He will forward the request to Mark Blakeman, AT&T’s representative, to get the information. Supervisor Wiener also mentioned that every time a letter goes out informing a specific street of a plan to install a cabinet, he will forward that information on to FoNV. Supervisor Wiener also clarified that Comcast and Astound are not “utilities” so they do not have authority to put anything on our sidewalks.
- Healthy San Francisco – Update
- Central Subway – Update
- Noe Valley Town Square
Supervisor Wiener reported that the idea for a Town Square at the location of the parking lot on 24th Street is a viable one. The project would require open space funds, which are limited, as well as additional funds, raised by the neighborhood, in order to make the project happen. The Noe Valley Town Square will most likely be paired/proposed with open space projects in two other neighborhoods in order to minimize competition among the projects. Supervisor Wiener stated that there is LOTS of work that still needs to be done.
- Real Foods
Supervisor Wiener is in communication with the current representatives for Real Foods. He is encouraging them to sell the building to someone who can, and will, finally do something with the site.
Supervisor Wiener discussed issues with the J Church. It is Supervisor Wiener’s hope that things will change at MUNI with the appointment of the new MTA Director, Ed Reiskin.
As in the past, Supervisor Wiener was upfront and eager to engage and solicit feedback and input. He did a good job discussing complex issues and showing he sees the big picture, and he did a good job of not over-promising. He repeatedly mentioned that he responds to all email he receives in person. So feel free to contact him with questions and comments at:
At the end of Supervisor Wiener’s address, Todd David informed those in attendance of additional pending neighborhood issues:
- 1st Republic Bank wanting to move into the neighborhood
- Whole Foods applying for a liquor license
- Recap of our recent Garden Tour and donations
Linda Lockyer, Events Committee Chair, made an announcement about several upcoming events for which – VOLUNTEERS WILL BE NEEDED:
- Music in the Park – September 10th
- Harvest Festival – October 15th
- Happy Birthday Noe Valley! – November Date TBD
- Noe Valley Love Fest – Valentine’s Day, February 14th
- Literary Festival – March 5th – 9th
- The Great Noe Valley Run-a-round – Date TBD
- Pets on Parade Noe Valley Style – Date TBD
In conclusion Todd David thanked those who attended the meeting and announced several upcoming meetings sponsored by Friends of Noe Valley:
- A forum to meet Mayoral candidates co-sponsored by Noe Valley Democratic Club, Noe Valley Merchants and Professionals Association, Friends of Noe Valley, and Upper Noe Neighbors – August 25th
- FoNV member meeting with AT&T and San Francisco Beautiful to discuss the AT&T cabinets project in Noe Valley – Date TBD
- A meeting to discuss the Ballot Measure to Place a Moratorium on Fees and Private Leases For Parks Resources – Date TBD
- Friends of Noe Valley member meeting and election of Board – September 15th
Please check the FoNV Calendar for details on these events.