The 5th annual Noe Valley Garden Tour is set for Saturday, May 21, 2011 from 10am to 3 pm. Nine private gardens across Noe Valley will be open to the public. Donations from net proceeds will go to Noe Valley beautification projects.
The nine gardens include flower, fruit and vegetable gardens. Vegetable gardens are a first for the Noe Tour. Several gardens have ponds and other water features, including rainwater collection systems for garden irrigation. Two gardens are working apiaries. One garden was created by building a bridge to the top of a retaining wall behind a sunken patio. Another incorporates an exposed retaining wall into its design, with large hanging flower baskets spaced across it. A third is a re-creation of a tropical rainforest at mountain slope level. Most of the gardens are owner designed and maintained.
The two neighborhood beautification projects donations will be made to are re-landscaping the Sanchez Street side of the Upper Noe Recreation Center and proving shade structures for the James Lick Middle School garden.
Tickets are on sales now at local merchants. These stores include:
▪ Independent Nature garden store and Omnivore bookstore on or near Church Street
▪ Wink, Noe Valley Bakery, Small Fry’s, Patxi’s Chicago Pizza Noe and Urban Nest along 24th Street
▪ The Urban Farmer store on Vicente in the Sunset
▪ Every Saturday from 10 am to noon at the Friends of Noe Valley table outside the Noe Valley Farmers Market
You can earn a free ticket by working a two hour shift as a Garden Greeter. Garden Greeters staff a table outside the entrance to each garden. You check for tickets and sell them as needed. Interested? Contact Richard May at 298-2344.
The Tour is self-guided. Each ticket purchased comes with a map and garden descriptions. A shuttle van will also stop at every garden on a continuous route during the Tour times. You can also catch the van on Noe between 24th and Jersey. The shuttle van is sponsored by the Noe Valley Merchants & Professionals Association and the Noe Valley Association a Community Benefit District.
All Garden Tour expenses will be covered by sponsors again this year.
▪ Major sponsors are the Friends of Noe Valley, Merchants & Professionals and the Noe Valley Association.
▪ Gold sponsors include Circle Bank, Patxi’s Chicago Pizza Noe, Sloat Garden Centers and the Urban Farmer Store.
▪ Silver sponsors are the Droubi Team/Coldwell Banker, Janet Moyer Landscaping, Joseph Andrade Florist and Noe Valley Law Offices.
Date: Saturday, May 21, 2011
Time: 10 am to 3 pm
$15 – Adults under 65
$10 – Seniors
Under 18 – Free